Please vote for us!
Stakeholder Personal Analysis
Change Management >
Stakeholders in change > Stakeholder
Perceptions | Power | Effects |
Influencing them | See also
This is a set of questions designed to get under the skin of an individual
What personal investment have they made?
- Career path so far (focus/variety)
- Length of time at company and in current job
- Current projects and objectives
- Personal skill development
Where do they focus their time and energy?
- Their own individual tasks and objectives
- Relationships and networking
- Current work vs. future possibilities
How do they satisfy their deep needs?
- Control, safety, power, certainty, predictability
- Identity, belonging, esteem, friendship
- Novelty, interest, learning, improvement
What do they want around the proposed change?
- Control for themselves or others?
- Specific actions done (or not done)?
- Things done in specific ways?
How do they view other people?
- Caring or self-centered
- To be supported, competed with, or used
- Having rights or responsible for their own future
How do they view themselves?
- Confident or uncertain
- Specialist or generalist
- Superior, equal or inferior to others
How do they view their job?
- A means to an end (career, money, power)
- An end in itself (e.g. identification with company or profession)
How do they make decisions?
- Quickly or carefully
- Primary focus on self, others or company
- By themselves or in collaboration with others
- Reversible or do not change decision once made
How do they perceive the change?
- Sensible or ill-founded?
- Likely to succeed or fail?
- Is their perception based on belief or true understanding?
- How strongly do they hold their perception?
- How do they perceive the change as affecting them?
- Direct, indirect or not at all?
- Threat or opportunity?
What is their source of power?
- What they can control: money, time, resources, people, information
- Who they can influence: friends, admirers, those who feel obligation
What is their style of using power?
- Reluctant and occasional
- Tiger response to threats
- Assertive and direct
- Deception and subtlety
How does the change really affect them?
- Changes their power?
- Affects other needs?
- Affects goals, objectives and interests?
What is their likely response to the change?
- Opposition, uncertainty or support?
- Action now or ‘wait and see’?
- Open action or hidden action?
- Individual action or acting with others?
What would be the impact of their response?
- Significant or limited?
- Local or widespread?
- Recoverable or permanent?
What would make them more supportive of the change?
- Information / understanding?
- Involvement and ownership?
- Changes in planned actions?
- Direction from more senior managers?
- Evidence of the success of the change?
What would make them less supportive of the change?
- Personal threat?
- Non-involvement in decisions?
- Personal rivalries?
- Insufficient evidence in ‘trial period’ (defined by them)?